Thursday, January 17, 2019

England! Again!

We are back in England!  And I'm ALMOST finished with the Alabama Chanin-style t-shirt refashion that I started last time, 3 years ago.  By almost, I mean that I only have to stitch on the binding on the armholes, which means I'm really close!

I liked it so much, that when I noticed that there was a tshirt printshop right near my workplace (University of Bristol), I went in and came out with 6 tshirts for use in another project.  My goal is something like this:


I want to use as much of the original as possible this time, i.e., the neckband and possibly the binding that covers the shoulder seams.  I've been deconstructing tshirts (Gildan brand, not QUITE as soft as the other ones I used) all week and have really developed an appreciation for how they are put together.  The above photo was just for overall shape and color/pattern - I'm planning on draping and pinning the tshirts (xlarge) once the sleeves are removed.  So far, for the top, I may actually just fold beneath the armpits and leave the shoulders as is for kind of a cap-sleeve look.  

For the skirt I'll actually use 2 shirts (double layer, so 4 total), so there will be a horizontal seam around knee-level.  I haven't decided how to involve the transition from tube with armholes (big u-shapes after the shoulder is opened up) into skirt with narrow waist.  I pinned a bit this morning and think I can seam the sides to a point and then leave it open below that, without adding too much bulk at the hips.  But I'm not sure if I want an actual side seam, a pleat, or an overlap that is stitched down.  The lower layer will be a dark olive, for a little bit of contrast when I'm sitting/crossing my legs.  At least I THINK I'll do two layers - could still change my mind.

Since I have 3 chocolate shirts total, I have plenty of necklines to use two of them on the armholes, which is what I'm doing with my previous, almost-finished top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment