Monday, April 18, 2016

Tying up loose ends

I haven't just been hand-sewing and sticking my finger with pins!  In fact, I'm taking the day off today from Alabama Chanin projects.  I have a new thimble, but my finger is pretty sore still from the penultimate prick.

When we first got here to the UK, my daughter lost a hat on the bus.  It was a hand-knit hat with a fleece lining and rainbow colors, bought by a grandmother at one of those nice shops that sells handcrafts from around the world.  She was devastated!  Beforehand, she'd complained about it occasionally being too scratchy (if she'd been running and was sweaty), but now it was the greatest hat ever and she started to spiral down the path of blaming this loss on England, buses, and schools that make you wear uniforms (she is six).

All I could find was a very grainy video I'd taken this fall with her and one of her friends helping to rake the front yard.  When I zoomed in, the hat was probably about 100 pixels square.  Not very helpful.  We remembered that it had earflaps, three corners on top, rainbow-y colors including a light magenta, and long dangly tassles.

Here is what I came up with, going on almost 2 months now!

It's made with 6 colors of soft wool yarn from KnitPicks.com, "Mighty Stitch".  It has neat names like "Pucker".  I knit it up over break mostly, on US6 double pointed needles.  She helped with braiding the ties.  Just finished the pompoms tonight, here's hoping she actually will wear it!

3 comments:

  1. What a labour of love and what a great result. I would wear it in an instance. I especially love the vibrancy of the pink and the pom poms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a labour of love and what a great result. I would wear it in an instance. I especially love the vibrancy of the pink and the pom poms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - she seems to have gotten over her dangly-pom-pom wish and is wearing the hat most days. She even says I don't have to line it with fleece when we get home - it's not scratchy at all. I like knitpicks yarn.

      Delete