Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Alabama Chanin Tank Top

I've finished the burgundy Alabama Chanin Tank Top (same pattern as camisole, except for different width of shoulder straps and differing depth of front and back necklines.





Shown with my AC 4-panel skirt and husbands shadow.


As mentioned before, I used a Men's X-Large t-shirt for most of it, with the two back side pieces being cut from an already-mostly-demolished XXL Men's yellow t-shirt that was then overdyed.  I had to cross lots of the original seams of the two shirts, particularly for the back side pieces.  These made for some interesting design details, but also meant that there was some ease in the seams that adversely affected the construction.  I also probably cut out a size too large - I cut out an X-L, but should probably have gone with a large or medium, given the amount that I took in at the side seams and back side piece to back seam.



Other mistake - I cut out my binding strips along the direction of stretch, instead of across it!  That meant that they are NOT stretchy (or, at least, as not stretchy as knit can be).  And they curled like crazy.  It meant attaching the binding was pretty difficult.

Flat front view.  It's pretty curvy and hard to photograph!

Overall, I LOVE this top!  it has a nice flare at the hips, and the way that the shoulder straps kind of widen at the top is very attractive.  I had fun with the back, saving the original motif from the t-shirt and with the dyed side panels.  Seems to be a theme now, plain front, crazy back.  This is essentially a muslin for me, since I didn't want to invest in fabric and all the time in embellishment unless I was pretty sure that the fit was good.  I could see this being a nice top to embellish, although with all the seams it might be good to do one of the smaller scale, allover geometric designs rather than one of the floral ones. 


No comments:

Post a Comment