Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Working on the positives - more TNT!

I really can't be too bummed today, since I'm wearing my blue Alabama Chanin coat, my old navy linen dress that I LOVE, and new navy leather pumps.   I did a bit of a shoe whirlwind in the past month, in part since there had been no new shoe purchases in about a year and a half.  This time it was 3 pairs, all plain pumps in the 1.5-2" heel range, in black, navy and taupe.  I'm a wild child.  The problem was, I looked at my shoe wardrobe and realized that all my "work event" shoes were quirky in a way that wasn't great for the type of meeting I go to now.  NASA stuff.  I just wanted some high quality, "boring" shoes that looked pretty but would not distract or detract in any way.  So I went with the classics - mostly Clarks.  So far, they are incredibly comfortable, too.  I can do short sprints in them.  The pair today is a teensy bit slippery though - I might rough up the sole somehow to get some more traction.

Here's the current work in progress - another shirt in silk!  I'm (again) following the New Look 6161 basic shell, but adding the same sleeves that I put on my satin SWAP blouse.  Same finishes - hand topstitching on the seams, french seams inside except the back, where the seam allowances are folded over on each side and topstitched, bias binding around the neck, and hand-stitched hem.

Back view - front is pretty boring.  I did raise the bust dart point by 1/2 inch, since that's about how much I had to raise it on my other silk version.


I could finish the armholes now and call it a day and it would probably be more wearable than the future, long-sleeved version.  But this is a crazy fabric - I might as well go all the way and add the sleeves.  I have a conference in September in Palm Springs where everyone wears Hawaiian shirts - this would be a kick to wear there, and bigger is definitely better in that case!  Plus, they always have the AC turned up too high and the sleeves will be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment