Friday, September 1, 2017

M7053

I churned out another blouse, this time one from McCall's archive collection - out of a batik-y rayon that I've had in stash for two years.

I was concerned about the pattern because of its craziness - the front has two panels that include self ties that make the bow in front, and are both attached with a deep v into a panel on the bottom.  The sleeves are cut on down to mid-upper arm, but then have bouffant-y lower sleeves attached.  So...I just sewed the whole thing up and hoped for the best.

So far, it is one of my favorite shirts!


In this case, I think that the crazy print (I made no attempt at pattern matching) makes the shape less distracting.  Crazy + crazy = good.


I almost left off the sleeve lower parts and just hemmed them mid-arm, but now I see that it looks better from the back with a little visual interest on the sleeves.  Print isn't cut badly- I just am slouching a bit there.

 Shot of where the two front panels join the lower front piece in a v.


If I make this again, I'll close up the lower bit of where the ties come together.  The ties are heavy, and pull the shirt forward.  If the shoulder seams aren't right on my shoulders, then this opening dips below my bra.  You can't normally see it (floppy bow ends), but I don't want to inadvertently flash a poor student!

1 comment: