Wednesday, September 20, 2017

MMwhat?

I'm realizing that I wore something I made every day (not even counting underwear) for the past few MONTHS.  I think it's because I have no more storebought dresses in my rotation, really, and enough blouses and bottoms that I actually like now that I kept reusing a few of them.  Still, I was pleased to realize this.

Work is really busy and is likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future.  We've got new activities for the girls after school, so the bliss of the little one being in Kindergarten (one pickup!) is tempered by really sleepy grumpy kids in the short time we have with them in the evenings.  And I've got my normal early fall cold/allergies - any time in the evenings after kids are in bed is spent working on the laptop on the couch drinking tea, followed by an early departure to bed (8:30pm!)

But I still have time to be grumpy!  I am increasingly grumpy about certain phrases and I'm not sure why.  "Nurture", "Nourish", and, most recently, "intentional".  I think I've got a certain amount of blowback against a smugness within the more liberal parts of our society (of which I am part), which I now see as needlessly alienating the people who now have moved to support Trump.  It still is ridiculous to support Trump, I'm not giving them any wiggle room there.  But we didn't help.  And the folks who are the most smug and who repost the most offensive cartoons also seem to be the ones who are a bit anti-scientific and embrace the slight holier-than-thou aspects of the above words.  So I give them eye-rolls and am smug myself. Yikes.  Just don't know where to go with this.  This post is a bit of an attempt at a self-exorcism, but I'm also unsure about what would be in its place.  Condemnation without smugness?  Is that better?  A calmer ability to talk to people about the problem when I see it?  Maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment