Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Filet Crochet tablecloth

I'm not telling my mom about this blog until this little baby is all wrapped, bedecked with ribbons, and then opened.

Progress (Sorry for lack of scale!).



So - I don't even know how to start about describing how excited I am about this project.  My parents have a table.  It's a gorgeous, heavily carved (griffons on the feet!) dark wood table, and it's wider than most, making tablecloth sourcing difficult (but thanksgiving seating easy!).  I've made her a couple tablecloths so far, one with extra-wide quilting cotton backing (easy), and the other with pieced linen (hard).  Need for ironing is kind of a no-no, but she is willing to put up with some if it's extra festive.

That's how this got started.  There are so many beautiful hand-made linens in the shops here, and I don't, after all, have access to a sewing machine.  I started looking around on pinterest about embroidered and crocheted tablecloths, and finally narrowed down my choices to the following graph:





I ordered some actual LINEN fine crochet thread off of amazon.co.uk - it is antique, from the 1950's, I think.  Real linen!  I swatched up a chunk, washed and stretched it, measured, and came to the conclusion that the chart above would give me a square cloth of the dimensions of my parent's table without any leaves.  Done and done.



I am on line 15 or so now, out of a few hundred!  On the chart I printed out, I've drawn lines for the months, i.e., the point I need to get to if I'm going to finish by Christmas!  I'm ahead of it so far, but can really only do about one row a night, if that's all I focus on.  I think I got about 5 rows done on the plane from the UK to Denver.  This is serious stuff!  Of course, I already suspect that the final product is going to be smaller than I planned for, but perhaps I can crochet on an edging at the end to make it wider?

It has been fun to see that little deer emerge from the linen.


1 comment: