Thursday, April 21, 2016

Ideas, adrift from machines

So, at home I have two sewing machines, a serger,  two flat-bed knitting machines, one antique sock-knitting machine, a pleater, and a form of spinning wheel.  Some are modern, some antique.  I'm not "addicted", I'm just an "enthusiast"!  I'd like to get a working Featherweight or other older sewing machine at some point.

Here in England on our sabbatical, I have....my hands.  This has slowed me down quite a bit.  I'm excited to get back to my mechanical machines in a few months, but I'm really enjoying the forced vacation in a lot of ways.  For one, it's opened my eyes to inspiration and ideas, both inside and outside of the sewing universe.

For instance, how cool is this little kids outdoor table?

We saw that in a park here - I probably won't get around to making anything like it, but had a good time peering underneath and examining the joinery, etc.

For the meantime, I'm developing some design boards for the rest of my UK sewing, based on the flurry of T-shirt buying that I went through in March.  A bolero, a fitted tank, and finishing the skirt that I cut out are realistically all that I'm going to be able to complete.  After all, I still have four rows of smocking on that nightgown that I'd brought with me from the states!  My goodness, I need to complete that.  It's been sitting, abandoned, for at least two months.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I think I would have bought a secondhand machine for the duration of the sabbatical. Then sold it or given it away just before going home. :-)

    ReplyDelete