Thursday, April 21, 2016

Yellow Alabama Chanin corset - nearing finish line....

No pictures on a real person yet, but I am really getting excited about finishing my first Alabama Chanin corset top!

Status:
  • Topstitching on all seams - done!  
  • Binding on armholes and neckline - strips cut out, embroidery done on one arm
  • Lower edge... ?
Here are some front and back views, with edging pinned on:

 Front:
 Back:

I am having a bit of a freakout, however.  For that section that I added to the top edge, I somewhat experimentally used a new stretch stitch from the Alabama Chanin book - one of the more complicated ones.  It's pretty, but in a totally different style (more geometric) than the oak leaves cutouts on the back (more organic).  I'm concerned that the difference is jarring.  I think I'd prefer to have had the front and binding trims as plain as possible, with the "party in the back" being the standout design feature.

I COULD still pick out the embroidery on the front bodice piece and on the bindings.  It'd be a pain, but is still doable.  Maybe I'll post on patternreview or a similar site to get some opinions.

Here is a test showing what just using a chain stitch would look like - you can see the more elaborate stitch that I initially used on the armhole.  I can pick all of that out.


Slightly zoomed out, with the back folded around so that you can see them in the same frame:

2 comments:

  1. I think that the stitch variety as is looks very nice! It seems to be one of the nearest parts of Alabama Chanin sewing - making each element unique. Added bonus of stretch at the armholes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete