Friday, May 20, 2016

Fantasy Friday

I'm going to hop on the bandwagon of having a "theme" for posting on a certain day.  One of the things I've been doing is stalking fabric.com's "new arrivals" section.  I know that there are many other good sites, but the fabric.com site still wins in my book in terms of a clean interface with easy search capabilities.  I know that I'd love Mood in person, but their web interface is so clunky and slow that it isn't fun to browse on. 

New arrivals is fun, since you get to see the progression through new types of fabric that are being developed (double gauze's everywhere, all of the ponte's/scubas, printed panels) in response to current trends.

So, today, I found myself staring at the 2nd offering that came up - a bunch of cotton lawn that contained the following 3 plaids:

These are MY colors.  And they're plaid!  But not flannel or quilting cotton - they are a "very lightweight" lawn.  I just kept going over them in my head - they remind me of the YSL Mondrian dress, which was reproduced very nicely at http://fabrickated.com/ysl/ a few years ago, although the plaid obviously goes against some of the spirit of that garment.  I think that this is calling out to be a color-blocked....something.  I don't like wearing pastels ALL summer, and this could be quite a statement piece, particularly going into fall.

For instance, my tried and trusted Simplicity 1277 would look pretty interesting with these fabrics on the bias:





Or Butterick 6016.  2 color looks best on one side, but perhaps I could use the red on the back bodice?
I don't know- this would be fun to wear, perhaps not to iron!  It'd depend on the quality of the lawn a great deal, and on what I underlined/lined it with.  I lived in cotton dresses last summer, so I could imagine actually wearing something like this.

I miss my sewing machine!  7 weeks and counting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment