Thursday, May 5, 2016

Shirt fix, skirt done!

The bottom of my A-line top was rolling terribly, making an already somewhat unflattering shape look like I was wearing a big bell.  Adding beads had not made it heavy enough to stay flat.  However, in my T-shirt buying spree a couple months ago, I had two XXX-L forest green shirts that I am going to make into an embellished skirt - between the two of them they had a lot of finished bottom edge!

Last night I cut off the edges, and stitched them carefully with a pick stitch to the bottom of the top - I did one line of stitches along the very edge of the upper layer, aligning those with the bottom of the stitching on the cut-off shirt hem.  Then I did another line above, catching the top of the cut-off hem.


It seems to work!  Before, the entire beads section was curling, probably the bottom 2-3 inches.  Now it hangs down flat.  I think that this meets with the "re-use, re-purpose" mentality, at least I felt pretty pleased with myself when it worked.  The shirts are slightly different colors, but I like the contrast.

I also finished the double herringbone stitch on my 4-panel skirt:




Whole thing:
It's about knee-length, and is a bit lightweight.  I'm hoping it will work nicely as an underlayer below the embellished green skirt when I'm done with it.  They'll both be the same pattern.







I also finished the topstitching on my slightly-too-small bolero.  I pulled the thread too tightly when I did the armholes - next time I'll make sure to stretch the fabric before tying off, so that it pulls some ease into the piece.




No comments:

Post a Comment