Saturday, May 7, 2016

Stenciling, take 1!

I have begun on my embellished version of the 4panel skirt - I had 2 Men's 5XL tshirts, and just managed to eek out one skirt layer out of each.  4 panels for each t-shirt means that I need to take about 2 inches of "sleeve" in 2 of the panels.  Right now I'm putting all of those in the bottom layer and using the plain ones on top.

Supplies:
4 A4-sized transparency sheets, taped together and cut with an exacto blade
Acrylic paint (black), thinned a little bit with water
Makeup sponge for a pouncer


Here are the top panels after drying and ironing


My stencil, adult foot for scale:

It is pretty dirty, even after an attempt at washing last night!




I got surprisingly little bleed-through, considering that I didn't use an adhesive spray. I had to reposition the stencil about 8 times, and each time there'd be some paint that'd get on the bottom - still, this didn't seem to affect the piece.  What DID make a mess was the one time I accidentally laid the "wrong" side of the stencil down.  That did result in an area near one bottom corner that looks a bit messy.  Fortunately, the dark black on dark green doesn't have much contrast.

The acrylic is stiff, despite my efforts to be somewhat light in application.  I could have gone a lot lighter, which would have made it easier in a lot of other ways.  It used a surprising amount of paint.

Next step - snip center of each motif to make cutting easier later.

No comments:

Post a Comment