Saturday, May 6, 2017

Sunshine top done

I'm calling this my sunshine top since it's pretty difficult to not be in a good mood when I look at it.


But first - what on earth am I doing on the computer?  I came home at 4 after dropping my daughter off at a birthday party, and met the younger kiddo coming out of the garage in a swimsuit and heading off to the Y with her dad.  I'm at home all alone, guys.  AT HOME ALL ALONE!!!  I honestly don't know what to do.  It feels like I should be doing something really, really special.  I ate some cheese sticks, picked up some kids toys, and made myself a leisurely cup of coffee.  After finishing here, I'm going to get on the stairmaster and read.  But it doesn't feel like I'm taking full advantage of this situation!!!

Anyway, the top is a wonderful "crinkle" silk.  It's nearly opaque, definitely enough for work.  I'm really liking these airy silks - they're unlike anything I've worked with before and have their challenges.  For instance, the machine really wants to chew them up.  I think if I'd tried a machine hem I would have failed utterly.  So I did it all by hand. Once I committed to that, I really enjoyed.  Lots of pinning first, then some easy stitching.

Here's the back - I really wish I'd thought through the placement more - I've got that almost-repeat thing going on at the back seam, and there really isn't any excuse in this case for me not making it match.  I just didn't think about it at all.  Kids.


I topstitched the french seams on the sides and shoulders as well, just for kicks.


Back seam and hem, both topstitched by hand.

Did the back with a hook/eye this time, snugged down into the neck binding so that they don't show from the inside.  We'll see how that holds up.  

This is New Look 6161 again, with the bust darts raised half an inch, and bell sleeves stolen from another pattern.  They happen to fit pretty well, fortunately.

I've already worn my sleeveless NL 6161 green silk twice, and really love it.  I'm going to need to handwash them, and be very careful about deodorant when putting them on!

Next silk kick might be a full slip.  I don't have one and am thinking a simple bias-cut version with some of the relatively inexpensive woven silk that is available at mood ($15/yd or something). 

No comments:

Post a Comment