Sunday, August 13, 2017

It has arrived....


Yards of beautiful, printed fabric!

It's supposed to be a long-ish swing tank with a topo map of most of california + a few satellite images in grayscale (lower left purple/gray pieces), and a tie/wrap cardigan that showcases one of our models of ground subsidence due to water withdrawal in the California central valley (rainbow panels).  I made my best guess at how much they'd shrink in both dimensions, based on spoonflowers reported shrinkage, and scaled the pieces accordingly.  I based the patterns off of some of the digital Alabama Chanin files I have, but changed the armholes, neckline, etc. quite a bit, kind of ad hoc.  For the wrap, I took the t-shirt pattern and just drew a sweeping  diagonal line across to the mid-waist area.  We'll see how it turns out!

I'm lining the sweater with a stretch knit in a kind of avocado color, for a little bit of (hopefully) interesting contrast.  Oh wait, I should have made it red, for the hot interior of the earth!!!  I guess the green is close to the color of Olivine - ah yes, that's what I'm going with.

I'm curious about how the political climate on the sewing boards is going in response to current events.  But, since I've finally learned the age-old lesson of how no one's mind is ever changed by a discussion on the internet, I'm staying disengaged from there.  There's plenty to do here, plenty of good groups to support with my money, and extremism on the left to rein in.  I know we'll win this current fight - the real question now is how will we act in the next decade.  We were complacent and ignored the growing problems for decades.  I'm feeling really complicit in that.  Of course the groups engaged in these terrible acts are wrong, but it does so little good to just show how horrified we are.  The real question is what do we do next and how to we keep the ten-year-old boys growing up now from going down that route.  Lots of ten-year-old boys didn't, but some did.

No comments:

Post a Comment