Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Top hemmed and pleating (drying)

The top is all sewn up, all buttonholes made, all hems and topstitching complete!  I wrapped it, squished it and soaked it last night, and it's now drying in the basement right behind the dehumidifier.

Some shots:

View of the neck opening, with one set of top buttonholes/eyelets.  On bottom of channel, there is a similar, machine-sewn buttonhole underneath each of them.  I have quite a few options for how to string the whole thing up!  But I still haven't found a good cord yet.


View of armhole.  Armhole seam allowances were just turned twice and topstitched before dealing with the shoulder, and you can see that the casings along the shoulder (on the right of the photo) are open so that the cord can come out and be tightened/tied/beaded/etc.


In this view (folded along center to fit on countertop), you can see the curved hem I cut.  I was really worried about hemming this, but a turn once/stitch, turn again/stitch, approach gave me a reasonably unpuckered hem that I'm pleased with.  Side seams are open about 3" from hem.


Cording and beads are giving me headaches.  1mm silk cord is pretty, but too thin for the top gathering job.  And the 1mm size is already too big for the beads I'm looking at!  The only beads that have bigger holes are pony-bead style stone and glass beads - they may work but I"m a little concerned they will look too much like cheap plastic pony beads.  They are definitely not cheap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment