Thursday, June 16, 2016

Fantasy Friday - Wales!

Tonight we leave for a quick weekend holiday to Wales, seeking some of the family history on my husband's side of the family.  We are single-handedly keeping airBnB in business, I'm sure!!!  We've got another one the following weekend with MY side of the family, over on the Gower peninsula. 

So....perhaps I'll get to see some old wool mills?  I'm hoping.


I've stopped obsessing over more printed dress projects, since I think I'll have enough with the two I've already purchased and the 2 similar dresses in my closet to have a pretty substantial dress wardrobe for the next few summers.  The item that came up in Fabric.com that intrigued me the most this week was just some interesting solid color wovens, like the Kaufman Manchester Metallic shown here:


When I get home in about 6 weeks, our major home goods need is an update of the table linen situation.  We've been using a set of heavy cotton sateen napkins from Crate and Barrel for over a decade now, and they are shrunk and faded and misshapen beyond what is civilized.  They're also the only set where we have enough for a dinner party!  We have 4 or 5 of a few others, including some useless satin ones.  I think it's time for me to just cut up some squares and hem a set of 12 or so white napkins so that we are set. 

For tablecloths, we are lacking in the extended-table realm, and that is what I was liking this slightly metallic cloth for.  This one is only 45" wide, so it'd have to be seamed, but I've done that with nice success with some linen/cotton home dec cloth in the past.  I actually prefer *more* seams, like 3 parallel strips, instead of having just one seam down the middle.  That gives you a bit of a built-in table runner look and appears more intentional, somehow. 

Alternately I could just get a bunch of the quilt backing fabrics that are increasingly available and interesting.  They aren't just the dots or swirls of the past!  I'm really liking the following one (it has a bunch of other colors, too):



No comments:

Post a Comment