Wednesday, August 31, 2016

So much fabric!

I feel like I'm swimming in the luxury of having my sewing machine and wide swath of kitchen countertop available for cutting again.  No pics today, but some progress notes.  I finished the "geodesy" dress i was making - a print with old maps rendered in dark blue and white lines, for an upcoming geology/geophysics meeting I'm going to in about a week and a half. 

It was Butterick 6066, without the little cap sleeves:






My main mistake was that I didn't think about whether the design would be centered on the fold when I cut the skirt.  It was not!  I ended up with one of the white lines being about 4 inches away from the front of the skirt, while the bodice was centered perfectly.  I didn't have enough fabric to recut, but instead recut piece I'd already cut and added a strip on the side, near the side seam.  It's pretty unobtrusive, and now I have a white line going down the whole front, uninterrupted.

I cut the whole thing a bit on the tight side, since I was worried about gapping at the armholes.  I need photographs, but I'm happy with the non-gap!  I can't breathe too well, though... I'll still wear it to the conference, but I'm not sure it'll be used all that often otherwise.

I also shaved off about 2cm as a sliver from the bottom of the back skirt, tapering to the side seams.  I have no bottom, just hips, and skirts always seem to droop noticeably at the back.  I'm hoping this will be the first of numerous successful experiments to fix this problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment