Saturday, August 20, 2016

Vogue 1440 in linen: finished!

My second version of Vogue 1440 is done! This time it was in linen, and I made some changes to fix the armholes that were really too baggy last time. To some extent it was successful, but there are probably some tweaks. Basically, for a top with cut-in shoulders and front like this one, there is probably going to be some gaping unless bust and upper chest darts are done somewhere. I think I'd be into the over-fitting realm if I tried to adjust this further.

Changes: I raised the armhole up by 1/2 inch, transferring that change to the two separate front pieces, the back pieces and the outside facing pieces.  I made a mistake, though!  This widens those facing pieces at the bottom, and I forgot to take an equal amount off of the bottom.  Luckily, I noticed before topstitching, and was able to address it by just folding in a bit more by eye when I ironed. 

Other reviewers have noted that the way the front/back are joined at the shoulder is not the best, and that you get a more seamless look with different construction orders.  I agree, but completely forgot to make the change this time.  Whoops.  Some hand stitching made the shoulder seam look a lot better.

 Front and back:


I'm not 100% happy with the big floppy collar on either version. 

This look (very wide at the hem) is not the most slimming on me.  Might perhaps be less hip-widening with a skirt.  But I don't really care.  I have nice birthing hips!


I'm pretty happy with the lack of a clear view of my bra on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment