Sunday, September 11, 2016

Off to Palm Springs!

I'm heading out to a 3-day conference in Palm Springs, which meant that I had a tearful cuddle with my eldest this morning when she woke at 5:30 am (conveniently, 15 minutes before I was supposed to get up anyway) about how 5 days is "too looooooong".  The youngest just slept there, her bare bottom sticking up in the air.  Not sure where her underpants got to last night.

If I'm not dead tired, I'll take some pictures and post from my hotel room about my latest projects.  Since the blue "geodesy" dress, I've finished two projects from Burda July 2016 (114 and 120a)  and am bringing them with me: the Plastron top with the woven bands and the pleated tennis skirt.  I'm also wearing a 2nd quilting cotton dress (my only repeat from last year's meeting) and on the last day I'll wear that white Vogue 1440 top and a purchased (but altered!) black linen skirt.

So - ALMOST all homemade clothes this time!  There isn't really a hashtag for "Me Made Conferences" but I'm really close to that.  Enough people there know that I sew, so I do run the risk of turning into the crazy cat lady who wears all-cat-quilting-cottons.  Then again, I'm not 100% convinced that that is the worst thing ever. 

As a preview: Burda 114 went together well in a nice cotton/linen blend.  The woven part looked very nice!  Until I washed it.  Then each little strip folded in on itself and twisted and was more "open" than woven".  It ironed out okay, but I'm wondering if I need to go in and tack the strips together from the inside so that they don't come apart in the wash! 

Burda 120:  Extremely straightforward pleated skirt falling from a shaped, faced yoke, no other waistband.  This was out of a very lightweight stretch rayon/cotton denim that is very drapey.  I did two crazy things here.  First, I ended up loving the selvedge, and just left the hem unfinished with it.  2nd, I tried adding a 1" elastic inside the yoke facing, just under the top edge.  I just did it with a 3-step zigzag on the inside.  I think it will help keep the top edge stable (my fabric is very light), and it might keep that top edge cinched to my waist so that I can wear shirts tucked in without a belt.  We'll see! 

Okay - going to board soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment