Thursday, September 22, 2016

Simplicity 1070

I was intrigued for some time by the semi-moto jacket in Simplicity 1070.  Way back last winter, I think.

I found a nice pleather in navy that I liked, and a tweedy matching navy scuba and decided to go for it.  However, I liked the scuba so much (and it was inexpensive) that I decided to get enough for the matching high-waisted long skirt:


Aaaand, since I was going that far, I got some rayon jersey in taupe to make the long-sleeved T from the set.



The skirt has a zipper and a long back kick pleat.  Some sewers have left out the zipper, since it's a knit.  I left it in since I have pretty wide hips and didn't want to risk stretching it out. 

Construction:  For the jacket, I sewed on my normal machine and switched a bit between a stretch and normal needle.  I was getting a ton of skipped stitches on the scuba and never really managed to get that to stop.  I topstitched all of the seams except for the front one that has a pocket in it.  Couldn't figure out how to topstitch past the pocket without some painful starts and stops.  Since this is pleather, I didn't want to risk having needle holes all over!  Too bad, because the pleather and scuba both look great with top-stitching.


I did not line the jacket but used the provided facings for the front, top and bottom edges.  Therefore, I still have a bit of work ahead of me, taking them all down!  It's a bit big on me, unfortunately, and there isn't really much of a way to take it in.  I measured what I could, but with the combo of stretchy and non-stretchy fabric, muslin-ing would have been kind of a shot in the dark. 

The skirt was constructed on the serger where I could, with the normal machine for the zipper and a bit of topstitching around the back vent.  I'm going to hand-sew the hem and still need to tack down the top facings.

The shirt....done!  All on the serger, easy-peasy.  I even used the chain stitch to topstitch the neck band down, but really wish I'd just left it alone.  The shirt is REALLY long.  All the way to the widest portion of my hip.  And it could use another inch or two of ease there.  I'm considering this a very wearable muslin, and will add width if I do it again.  Still kind of pleased with myself for my use of the serger on the armholes and neckband.

No comments:

Post a Comment