Thursday, July 19, 2018

Next up... Vogue 8577

I'm in the final stages of finishing up my version of Vogue 8577.  I'm doing the version that looks kind of like this one, but with the collar from the version shown with short sleeves.




I ALSO decided to not make it a full shirtdress, and instead to cut the center front skirt piece on the fold. Partly since I'm still not sure about shirtdresses, and partly since their version involved cutting a really long, fabric-hogging and potentially-puckering-causing facing strip for the whole opening. Instead, I just did buttons/opening on the bodice and added a side zipper.

I went with the shorter, ~knee-length version, and it's currently hanging on my dress form.  The skirt is HEAVY and I used a loosely woven Kaufman chambray ("union small check" - so much texture!!!) that is going to need a bit of time to sag and even out before I try and think about hemming this.

Oh, I also didn't line it.  Just did a bias trim treatment on the armholes.  Sooo...I basically used 50% of what the pattern intended.

So far - I LOVE the deep, dramatic pockets with their wide trim band.  I love the way that the collar is put together and the retro look of it.  It's another denim-toned dress for me, but I suppose that if that is what I feel comfortable wearing, why not embrace it?

Other news... I bought a crazy thing at the Alabama Chanin sample sale.  A hand-sewn item and everything (not embellished, though).  Pictures to follow.  It's in lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment